Our heritage is our heart-beat. St Margaret's Berwick Grammar has been continuously educating and nurturing young people of character since 1926.
In 1927 St Margaret’s School moved to Mayfield Avenue, Malvern, and in 1931 leased the former Governor’s residence, Stonnington. By the 1930s St Margaret’s School had grown to 330 pupils.
In 1929 the Berwick Presbyterian Girls’ School, our current Berwick campus, was purchased. This branch of the main School was established in 1930, with a purpose-built boarding house, Campbell House where it developed a reputation for producing academically accomplished, well-rounded and empowered young women.
In 1941 the whole School was established at Berwick as a rural boarding school where it developed a reputation for producing academically accomplished, well-rounded and empowered young women.
In 1947 the School was purchased by parents and Old Girls from Miss Gipson, who retired.
In 1948 St Margaret’s School was incorporated and the first School Council was established.
In 1978 the school ceased to offer boarding.
In 2009, following growth of demand, the school expanded launching a purpose-built boys School on a dedicated 20-acre plot of land on Tiverndale Road, Officer, 7km down the road from St Margaret’s Berwick Campus. The selection of land and the building process was chosen to allow space for the boys to move and to grow with extensive provision for sporting facilities.
In 2021 the schools were formally brought together under a new operating name St Margaret’s Berwick Grammar and a new visual identity designed to bring the community together.
Miss Dora Gipson 1926-1947
Mrs Hilda Strugnell 1948
Miss Elizabeth Woodyatt 1949-1964
Miss Ruth Maguire 1964-1978
Mrs Joan Butler 1979-1986
Miss Virginia Henry 1987-2000
Dr Helen McDonald 2001-2011
Mrs Paula Anderson 2011-2012
Mr Doug Bailey 2012-2016
Ms Carole Reed 2016
Ms Annette Rome 2017-