Students in Year 5 and 6 consolidate their knowledge of number and mathematical concepts. Students are encouraged to become confident learners through inquiry and active participants through challenging and engaging experiences across the three content strands: Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, Statistics and Probability.
The focus is to develop confidence and extend skills and understanding of all concepts including:
- applying the basic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to whole numbers, fractions and decimals
- estimating, measuring and comparing, and organising and recording their data in graphs, tables, reports and models
- continuing to develop problem solving skills through cooperative group work centred around meaningful and challenging activities
- further exploring the concepts of volume and scale and the measurement of length, area, mass, temperature, time, capacity, volume and angles
- developing the students’ understanding of plain figures, nets and scales
- extending student knowledge of chance and data to random samples and encouraging students to represent, report and interpret data in order to draw conclusions.