Online Learning…. Again!
The inevitable has happened, we are in lockdown.
Our challenge from last term has come about again, online learning.
As a parent I have experienced a wide range of emotions over the past week. Ranging for anxiety about going back into online, fear about how we are going to cope, anger at the careless people that have spread the illness, to finally come to a place of acceptance.
It is going to be challenging, this time with the added challenge for all parents working in schools who are required to be onsite, with their own children needing to have alternate care arrangements.
This time however is different, we have already been through it before. We aren’t learning how to parent/teach our kids on the fly, we have experience. For some families it will be a smooth process reinstating the desk, and settling into online learning. For others there will be a real fear of ‘how am I going to do this again’.
Now is the time to think about what we learnt from our previous experience:
- We made it through before, and can do it again
- Our kids experienced a different way of learning
- Routine was vitally important, structure your day
- Have breaks!
- Physical activity is invaluable for the whole family
- Being creative and flexible when things aren’t working
- Have achievable goals
- Take one day at a time
- Ask for help
- Maintain connection as a family, with extended family, friends for yourself and your children
- Use technology for connection
- Turn off technology when work is done
It is going to be a challenge, we will get through it by staying connected with each other. Please reach out to your child’s teachers, Head of House/Head of School if you are wanting support.
There are plenty of articles on the Wellbeing Hive with support and advice on this – why not take a look through and get some further great tips.
Photo by Gustavo Fring